Wednesday, August 16, 2017

OK, My @YesYoureRacist Reveal

A couple of days ago, I put up a reader poll on "Using Twitter to crowdsource identification of the Charlottesville white nationalists with the intention of getting them fired from their jobs," with a promise to come back later and offer my own response to that poll. Current results:


  • 1 vote (4%): Yeah, they're fair game, but only because they're racist scumbags.
  • 16 votes (64%): Yeah, anyone who takes part in a public political action is fair game for being publicly identified with possible negative consequences.
  • 6 votes (24%): No, that's not cool. You should be able to participate in public life without risking your job, even if you're on the side of evil.
  • 1 vote (4%): Who cares?
  • 1 vote (4%): Other, user-created -- "Raise the hate on both sides so that Civil War becomes inevitable."
I'm personally with the 64% -- anyone who takes part in a public political action is fair game for being publicly identified with possible negative consequences. And as I explain in my latest Garrison Center column, I find the whole @YesYoureRacist project to be a really cool example of how to crowdsource negative social preferencing.

No comments: